Child holding picture of a houseHousing issues

Libra partners can help you to identify your housing options, whether you are looking for your first home or to move to more appropriate accommodation. There are also sources of help if you are homeless or your home is at risk for example if you are worried about paying your rent or mortgage.

Tackling homelessness is not just about getting people off the streets. It's also about finding lasting solutions to stop people from becoming homeless in the first place.

We also provide advice to help you deal with problems with your landlord or mortgage lender; and noisy neighbours.

In most cases, the earlier you seek advice the more options are available to you.

Preventing homelessness

If you are homeless or worried about being made homeless, please contact the council's Housing Options Team. The number is also available out of office hours for homeless emergencies.
Telephone: 0800 731 2963

Preventing domestic violence

Information and advice from Sunderland Domestic Violence Partnership on how to prevent and deal with domestic violence.

Benefits to help with your rent, mortgage and council tax

Useful information


The Shelter website has some useful information to help stop you being evicted. Shelter also operates a freephone helpline.
Telephone: 0808 800 4444

Private renting problems and disputes

The Directgov website has information about what to do about rent arrears, how to avoid illegal evictions and settling rent disputes.

Mortgage help - it's your home, let's keep it that way

The mortgage rescue scheme may help if you are having serious difficulties making your mortgage repayments and are in danger of becoming homeless if repossessed. Find out if you are eligible for help to stay in your home and how the scheme works.

What to do if your mortgage lender takes you to court

Find out how you know your mortgage lender is taking you to court, and how repossession of your home can be postponed. Also find out about preparing to go to court, and what happens on the day.

Home ownership schemes

There is a range of schemes available to help you buy a home. You could be eligible if you are a council or housing association tenant, key worker or first time buyer. Find out what schemes may be available to you.

Buying a home

Practical information from the Directgov website about buying a home.

Selling your home

Practical information from the Directgov website if you are thinking about selling your home.

Renting your home from a private landlord

Practical information from the Directgov website about renting a home.

Tenancy Deposit Protection

Tenancy deposit law was introduced on 6th April 2007 and provides protection for tenants by preventing landlords and letting agents from unfairly withholding a deposit. The scheme protects all Assured Shorthold Tenancies in England and Wales (covering most tenancies since 1997).

What you can do about rent arrears

If you allow your rent arrears to build up, you could lose your home. Find out how to avoid this by managing your debts and finding a solution with your landlord. Also, if your landlord takes you to court, find out about getting advice and what happens on the day.

Housing and care for older people: FirstStop

FirstStop is a free, independent national information and advice service for older people, their family and carers funded by the Department for Communities and Local Government (CLG). It provides joined-up advice across a range of housing, care and finance rights and issues. The FirstStop partnership brings together resources from Help the Aged, Counsel and Care, Elderly Accommodation Counsel and NHFA Ltd.
Telephone: 0800 377 7070

Student accommodation

If you are moving to Sunderland to be a student at the University of Sunderland, contact the Accommodation Office in the University Gateway.
Telephone: 0191 515 2943

Renting private student accommodation

If you’re renting from a private landlord or letting agent, find out whether your property needs to be licensed. Read any tenancy agreement carefully and if you’re not happy, seek advice immediately. The Directgov website has more information.


The Adviceguide website is the main public information service of Citizens Advice, providing people with round-the-clock access to CAB information on their rights - including benefits, housing and employment, and on debt, consumer and legal issues.


The AgeUK website provides practical information aimed at people aged 50 and over. It includes information about finding suitable accommodation if you find it difficult to care for yourself or need nursing care.

National Debtline

The National Debtline website holds useful information for dealing with mortgage and rent arrears, mortgage shortfalls and negative equity, as well as other issues relating debt and money advice.

NHS Stressline

Job insecurity, redundancy, debt and money problems can all cause feelings of distress. When times are tough, it’s quite natural to feel worried or down. It’s when these feelings go on for weeks that they can start to affect your health and wellbeing. Are your worries about the credit crunch interfering with your life? Get some help. Simply call the NHS Stressline and speak to someone who cares.
Telephone: 0300 123 2000

Web development by Montal Professional IT Solutions
Web Development